The Cluster



13 June 2019. 11:00 to 12:30
Actom Motors, Benoni Industrial Sites, Benoni



The chairman welcomed those present.


Mr. Richard Morris – – Sulzer pumps

Mr. Greg Peake -Brehnor Pumps

Mr. Daniel Hall – Actom

Mr. Rishi Gangaram – Actom

Mr. Howard Jones – Chairman

Mr. Hanno Viljoen – Weir Minerals

Mr. Diek Coetzee – John Crane.



Ms.Ayendrer Makhuvela – DTI

Mr. Jonathan Tacon Crewe Eng

Mr. Ken Bouch – Rapid 

Mr. Rob Bond- KSB

Mr. Paul Cuthbert -Actom

Mr. Tex Texeira – Actom

Mr. Darryl Macintosh- Eagle burgmann

Mr. Bongisisi Mamba – DTI

  1. The chairman welcomed those present.          
  • Minutes of the previous meeting.

           The minutes of the meeting held April 18, 2019 were approved as being a true reflection of the meeting.

  • The original Cluster objectives

Howard re-visited the original objectives to the floor for discussion and was requested to forward the same to all for future discussions and possible revision

  • DTI
    1. The need for the Pump cluster to embark on a training commercial as well as technical staff at the SOE’s as  well as the coordinators at the DTI as the information that Howard receives regarding designation and “pumps” is limited and sometimes does not even relate to pumps industry, this was raised again after the 18th April meeting
    2. Bongi’s request for any success stories regarding the designation functionality was highlighted again.
    3. The need to have different strategies for different markets to highlight the capabilities or limitations of the pump industry was raised by Ayender. Waterboards and Municipalities overview of existing water and waste-water products and disciplines
    4. The information from the DTI to the pump cluster is vague. More information is required to better identify products in the designation process
    5. Ayender to organize meeting at DTI for following Thursday
    6. The focus on export opportunities into the different markets, eg. Oil and gas, Mining and industrial markets was raised by Ayender
    7. DTI to supply the Pump cluster with Quarterly reports on the Audits done by SABS to allow for a better understanding of the designation requests and compliance
    8. DTI to Identify which SOE’s need to be visited and set up meetings
    9. DTI to investigate what happened to MESA
    10. DTI raised issue of limited capacity in handling queries
    11. Howard requested proof of the audit process
    12. Limited time is given to the Cluster to investigate local manufacture capabilities for designation requests
    13. Our operational alignment with the DTI’s needs to be addressed
    1. Further discussions with SAPMA to take place to establish the benefits of the Cluster joining forces with them
    2. There was consensus that SABSDA should not play a role in the operation of the cluster
  • Cluster participation
    1. Howard raised concern as the to the limited number of members of the cluster and suggested that we renew old contacts and identify new members, possibly create associate member status for other smaller companies
    2. Howard raised concerns regarding the demographic representation within the cluster as well as the challenges of identifying possible BEE partners for the development of smaller companies
    3. Greg raised the transformation issue and suggested that the DTI lobby Government to assist with the development of 100% black owned pump companies by purchasing designs and technology
    4. Hanno proposed Enterprisee development between Mines, Government and the OEM’s
    5. The possible inflationary impact of forced local manufacture
    6. Howard raised the fact that based on turnover and job creation, the collective smaller importer and pump industry players employ more people and support more local manufacturing small enterprises that the strictly local manufacturing entities. The collective contribution to the fiscus would be higher.
    7. Greg maintains that we cannot exclude the importers from the pump industry / cluster due to their current job creation
    8. Training
      1. Howard to have discussions with Steve Rose and Corny Norel regarding possible training programs
      2. Discussions with SAMPA regarding access to “Pumps and Principles” Handbook data
    10. The pump cluster members need to promote local products through the project houses especially for new projects
  • Administration of the Cluster
    1. A set of books will be set up before next meeting
    2. Invoices sent to all for membership fees and proof of payment
    3. Greg accepted the role of treasurer to confirm financials on an ongoing basis
    4. Possible steering committee to be investigated
  • Training
    1. Howard to have discussions with Steve Rose and Corny Norel regarding possible training programs
    2. Discussions with SAMPA regarding access to “Pumps and Principles” Handbook data


General discussion

The largest driver was discussion around future Role of the cluster and it’s mandate and the inclusion of other parties

There being no further business the meeting was closed at 13:10

Next meeting,      August 15, 2019       11:00 to 12:30

                                Sulzer pumps, Elandsfontein

There being no further business the meeting was closed at 12:45

Next Meeting

August 15, 2019. 11:00 to 12:30
Sulzer Pumps, 9 Gerhard rd, Elamdsfontein, Germiston

Would you like to become a member?
Contact us

Please Note: South Africa is going through a challenging time due to the Corona Virus pandemic. Stay informed by visiting:

Privacy Settings
We use cookies to enhance your experience while using our website. If you are using our Services via a browser you can restrict, block or remove cookies through your web browser settings. We also use content and scripts from third parties that may use tracking technologies. You can selectively provide your consent below to allow such third party embeds. For complete information about the cookies we use, data we collect and how we process them, please check our Privacy Policy
Consent to display content from Youtube
Consent to display content from Vimeo
Google Maps
Consent to display content from Google